Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Thoughts of engines

While at the place I bought the windlass I run across a Yanmar 38 hp 3JH3E. It is about 10 years old and has 245 hours on it. It seems to be in great shape.....but the exhaust manifold had a crack in it and leaked a bit of water. The manifold was taken off and promptly lost. I have priced out a new manifold and with the price I think I can get the motor for it would be worth it.  At least that is what all the research I have done tells me. I could continue to save and get a new motor which would set me back $10-$12K+. Or I could but a running used one if I could find one local. That would be $6K minimum. Or I could buy this one and replace the parts myself. I'm kind of handy so I don't think it would be a big deal.

Having to save up will take awhile and I can't sail the boat during that time. But if I get the Yanmar I could be sailing in a few months. Diesels are supposed to last for thousands of hours before a rebuild so it just seem I wouldn't be risking much by going with the Yanmar.

What are YOUR thoughts on this? Let me know.


4 comments:

  1. I'm curious as to why the exhaust manifold would have cracked. Cracks in parts like that sound like overheating to me, which usually isn't all that big a deal, but if you do want to purchase the motor, I would check the head to see if it has warped at all. Just my .02

    Tate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tate, 99% sure it would be overheating. Maybe some forgot to open the seacock? Or it could have been the manifold was torqued down incorrectly. I'll check the head best I can. I'll look at the oil and see if there are any signs of water in it.
    Thanks for the reply.

    Anyone else have experience with Yanmars?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 245 is LOW for a diesel engine. If in fact it only has that many hours on it and it checks out, I'd definitely consider it.
    Dani

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I bought the engine! I was able to check it out better today and liked what I saw. I was also able to get it for a lower price.

    ReplyDelete