Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Thoughts of engines

While at the place I bought the windlass I run across a Yanmar 38 hp 3JH3E. It is about 10 years old and has 245 hours on it. It seems to be in great shape.....but the exhaust manifold had a crack in it and leaked a bit of water. The manifold was taken off and promptly lost. I have priced out a new manifold and with the price I think I can get the motor for it would be worth it.  At least that is what all the research I have done tells me. I could continue to save and get a new motor which would set me back $10-$12K+. Or I could but a running used one if I could find one local. That would be $6K minimum. Or I could buy this one and replace the parts myself. I'm kind of handy so I don't think it would be a big deal.

Having to save up will take awhile and I can't sail the boat during that time. But if I get the Yanmar I could be sailing in a few months. Diesels are supposed to last for thousands of hours before a rebuild so it just seem I wouldn't be risking much by going with the Yanmar.

What are YOUR thoughts on this? Let me know.