|I had to remove the copper lines.|
|The cold plate was mounted on the settee side of the icebox. This caused condensation on the outside of the icebox.|
|This is the original icebox with the divider I put in when we installed the Cool Blue refrigeration unit.|
|Cutting with a Fein tool.|
|The start of removing the liner. It was harder to remove than I thought it would be.|
|Starting to make progress!|
|You can see the foam was not really in all the cracks.|
|Finally removed the liner and was able to see exactly how the insulation was on the bottom. Not much and just a mish mash of foam pieces.|
|Here Deena is cleaning out the icebox shell. There was mold on the foam and it was wet.|
|All painted and clean. We tagged the hull so it would be a surprise for the next owners. You can see I made templates of the sides to see exactly how big I could make the new liner and still get 2.5"- 3" of insulation in.|
|More patterns for the two drop in boxes. I would leave 1" space between them for insulation to go between the frig and freezer.|
The insulation I used was 10 mm Spaceloft and it has a radiant barrier on it. It is rated about R4 for the 10mm (3/8") thickness. I needed to get the highest R value I could in the 2 1/2"- 3" of space available. With 3" I can get R32...so I was shooting for 3" of space with the new liner. Just a side note that the insulation is dusty and it gets everywhere. It does not itch but it does dry out your skin and feels "sticky" but it isn't. It is hydrophobic so it does not absorb water. After a day of working with it water would literally run off my hands under the faucet. It does not itch so that is a big plus! A big thank you to the guys who got the insulation for me....you know who you are!
We were planning on building a fiberglass liner to go in the box. But I could not build a support system for it and get the space I needed for the liner and keep the box the same dimension inside as it was. So Deena suggested we do it in stainless steel. It would look better and be easier to clean. So stainless steel it would be.
I drew up the two liners and PPC, the company I used to work for made the stainless steel liners for me. They did a great job and everything fit as planned. I must say it was difficult getting the liners in as it was a very tight fit. At one point I was standing in the frig liner getting it to fully insert to the bottom insulation. Thank you PPC for the liners and other items you made for the boat. I really appreciate it!
|The liners before they were installed. The one on the left is the freezer section and goes near the hull.|
|The liners in place and ready to trim out. You can see all the cloth Deena put up to try and keep the dust from the insulation off of everything.....nice try....we still are cleaning dust from some places!|
|I installed the cold plate on the bottom this time. There is over R32 below it and it gives us more room.|
On the lids I used 3" of urethane foam glued to the plywood. I then covered the under side of the lid and foam with fiberglass cloth with epoxy. Then they received 2 coats of white paint.
|I decided to use 3" of urethane foam for the lids. I cut lids out of plywood then sealed them with epoxy.|
We thought were were going to go back to wood tops for the lids. Deena saw some glass accent tiles in Home Depot and bought a couple to see how they would look. We thought they would look very nice and be more functional than wood as she could set hot pans on them if needed. We decided we would trim the tops of the lids out with wood and put the tile in the middle. I re-used some handles we had. We mounted them on the lids then laid out the tile.
|Deena laid out the tile ahead of time so once we laid the adhesive down we could just lay them in.|
|All the doors grouted but not yet cleaned.|