Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Engine stuff and paint

If you follow the blog you know I bought a used Yanmar 3JH3E 40 hp engine that had about 243 hours on it. I was able to get it for a good price due to the heat exchanger rusting out.  The overall shape of the engine is great shape. I had to save up to order the parts I needed and received them about a month ago.


 I did install the heat exchanger to use as a lifting point for doing the engine pan mock up. I recently installed all the miscellaneous pieces on the engine to see what was missing. I still need a few bolts and a hose or two.
Yesterday when I finished the mocked up pan I took off a few pieces of the engine to de-rust them and give them a new coat of paint. You can tell where the petcocks for draining water is on the engine by where the rust is. It really is not bad, but I wanted to nip it in the bud before it becomes an issue in a few years.

Here is a picture of the few pieces I took off and painted. I sanded the rust off and used Jasco to prep the metal then painted it with industrial Rustoleum in a bright silver then will spray them again with a grayer color that better matches the Yanmar color. The Yanmar dealer wanted $16 a can.....no thanks.


By the way the coupling (upper right corner) is off the propeller shaft not the engine. The engine has a torque limiter. Does anyone know if I can remove the torque limiter and put a regular coupling on instead?

5 comments:

  1. Why would you want to remove the shaft saver?

    Tate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tate,
    I would actually want to replace the torgue limiter (read $$$$$) when it fails with a rubber-polymer one that is way less expensive. I'm just researching it out so I can have the parts and tools if need be. Do you have a shaft saver? If so what brand etc. Also what size is your shaft and prop? (2 blade 3 blade?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went with a 3 blade fixed prop on a 1 1/4 shaft. I don't know what brand of shaft saver we got. Bought it from Bud though.

    Tate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tate! Do you know the prop size like a 17"x14" for example. I'll get with Bud and see what he recommends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe on our boat we have a 16r14 prop with our 2.83:1 transmission ratio. A lot will depend on the gearing.

    ReplyDelete