If you follow the blog you know I bought a used Yanmar 3JH3E 40 hp engine that had about 243 hours on it. I was able to get it for a good price due to the heat exchanger rusting out. The overall shape of the engine is great shape. I had to save up to order the parts I needed and received them about a month ago.
I did install the heat exchanger to use as a lifting point for doing the engine pan mock up. I recently installed all the miscellaneous pieces on the engine to see what was missing. I still need a few bolts and a hose or two.
Yesterday when I finished the mocked up pan I took off a few pieces of the engine to de-rust them and give them a new coat of paint. You can tell where the petcocks for draining water is on the engine by where the rust is. It really is not bad, but I wanted to nip it in the bud before it becomes an issue in a few years.
Here is a picture of the few pieces I took off and painted. I sanded the rust off and used Jasco to prep the metal then painted it with industrial Rustoleum in a bright silver then will spray them again with a grayer color that better matches the Yanmar color. The Yanmar dealer wanted $16 a can.....no thanks.