Friday, September 28, 2012

Chain Locker Bulkhead Complete

I'm a little behind in my postings. But life and working on the boat are keeping me busy. Here is the finial version of the chain locker bulkhead repair. I ended up painting it white because I think the white will help brighten up the space. With all the dark wood a little paint won't hurt. If I end up not liking it I can put veneer over it. All in all it turned out well. To recap the bulkhead had rot in it from the Samson post deck opening leaking. I cut all the rot out and made a patch for the bulkhead. I did make a new forward piece for the V-berth floor as it was cut too narrow. I epoxied the new bulkhead patch and the new V-berth piece in. I used 2 layers of 4" tape to attach the v-berth floor to the hull. 
Deena did all the painting. It was stinking hot the day we were working, but we did really enjoy it. We can't wait to be done so we can take Nellie Jo sailing.



 I figure since we are up there we might as well paint that area. I used premium exterior enamel. I did some research and pretty much decided it should hold up as well as bilge paint. I did prep all the surfaces properly. Time will tell.

5 comments:

  1. Looks great! I second the notion to paint things white. The W32's are very wood heavy and i'm looking for every opportunity to paint something lighter. What kind of paint did you end up using and is it mold resistant or did you have to have that added? Glossy, semi-gloss, or matte?

    As aside note, we are going to use the Gianni granite paint in a light creamy color to go over the awful 70's blue formica color on all the surfaces. It should only cost about $50. Not sure if you go lucky and had white surfaces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dani,
    I used Behr premium plus ultra exterior semi gloss with primer. It is mildew resistant. I will use it for the locker walls and hull sides. I will use bilge coat for the actual bilge area. I did use it in underside of the forward v-berth where the wet chain will be. But I plan on putting a layer of neoprene covered in a heavy cloth to keep the chain from beating up the hull there. I saw that the Pardey's did that and it makes sense to me. I really want to try and keep the oil based paint to a minimum as the smell will last for weeks and can be quite strong. I have been told by several boat owners that exterior enamel holds up well inside the boat.

    Our counters are parquet wood. Look in the lemon oil blog and you can see them there. We are not sure what we will be using at this point. My wife is a chef so I want to be sure that the galley is done "right". I am leaning toward grante or marble since there is so little of it. I want Deena to have a great place to cook. She is not picky but I want her to love the galley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a thought on the Gianni granite paint. That sure looks like a lot or work. Would it be easier to just install a new layer of formica over the existing? Formica is very thin and comes in a bunch of colors and designs like granite, slate, leather, travertine, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dani,
    Check out this product I ran across. It is a mold and midew proof paint guaranteed for 5 years. I might have to look into this more!
    PERMA-GUARD™ MOLD & MILDEW-PROOF™* CLEAR SEALER
    http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=328

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recommendation of the paint. Everyone seems to recommend just regular exterior enamel, which is great because Bilge Kote is expensive and in my opinin difficult to work with if you don't prep perfectly.

    We have thought about just applying another layer of Formica but thought I suppose it would be too difficult to do right. Maybe now that we are more boat seasoned we can revisit that idea.

    I would love Corian as it's light weight and awesome for a boat.

    ReplyDelete