Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Pictures for Tate on Sundowner-Chain pipe

Down in the great state of Louisiana in the great city of New Orleans there is another Westsail 32 that is undergoing a refit. Tate and Dani own Sundowner and are bringing her back to her former glory. In doing so Tate asked if I would send him some more pictures of how I installed my chain pipe. You really need to check out their blog. It is one of my favorites.
(The reason for the "great state" is due to Louisiana being my home state. I was born south of New Orleans and grew up in bayou country on Bayou Lafourche and Bayou Terrebonne.)
The chain pipe is the pipe that guides the anchor chain from on deck down to the chain locker in the forward part of the boat as low as possible. On  my boat Nellie Jo the chain was kept high in the bow.  This seems to be a common place for Westsail 32's to store there chain. However this is not the ideal place to store a large amount of weight. It is better to get it as low as possible. Thus the chain pipe. You can read more about my install here.
Here is the factory drawing on how to install the pipe.
 
Here are more picture with a tape measure showing the location and height. This is a fairly tight area so getting a great picture is difficult. So I tried to compensate by taking a bunch of pictures!
 
Anyway Tate enjoy! I hope they help you as you have helped me! If you need more info let me know.
 





I will be installing a drilled piece of plywood where the tape measure starts to keep the chain from going further aft. (Picture above)



 
I still have to put in the lower part of the rope locker where the chain pipe passes under the cut away samson post.
 
 
As a side note I am trying to figure out how to get some good ventilation in the rope and chain locker to help dry out the rope and cahin to help keep the smell down.  If anyone has any ideas let me know!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the photos James! And for the praise.

    I suppose that the front of Sundowner is different than Nellie Jo. The forward most under v-berth compartment is a lot bigger than what you're showing in your photos. Our entire holding tank was in there. I don't know if at some point they stripped a bulkhead out or what. I'll have to investigate further but these photos give me a lot to think on.

    Thanks,
    Tate

    ReplyDelete